Congratulations on being 17 weeks pregnant! At 17 weeks pregnant, you are well into your second trimester and your baby is growing and developing rapidly. Your due date is getting closer with each passing day, and your baby has doubled in weight over the last two weeks.
Related: 16 Weeks Pregnant – Fetus
17 Weeks Pregnant – Fetus
At 17 weeks pregnant, your baby is growing and developing rapidly. Here are some common fetal developments that occur at this stage:
- Your baby has doubled in weight over the last two weeks and is now about 5.1 inches long (13 cm) and weighs around 4.9 ounces (140 grams).
- Fatty tissue begins to form, which helps your baby produce heat and plays a role in metabolism.
- The circulatory and urinary systems of your baby are functioning, and hair is growing on their head, eyebrows, and eyelashes.
- Your baby’s external sex organs are completely formed.
- Your baby is becoming more responsive to sounds, and their eyes can move, although their eyelids are still shut and will stay closed for most of the second trimester.
- The subcutaneous fat layer, which is crucial for thermoregulation, is starting to form.
- The placenta is growing along with the fetus, and many blood vessels in the placenta provide for the increasing demand for nutrients.
- Your baby is beginning to form adipose or fat tissue, which will help fill out the fine features of your baby and regulate their body temperature.
- Your baby’s umbilical cord is not only lengthening but also becoming thicker and stronger for the remaining 23 weeks.
17 Weeks Pregnant – Symptoms
At 17 weeks pregnant, you may experience a variety of symptoms as your body continues to adapt to pregnancy. Here are some common symptoms reported by pregnant individuals at this stage:
- Swollen feet
- Lower back pain due to your expanding uterus and change in center of gravity
- Breast growth and tenderness
- Itchy or sensitive skin
- Increased bodily fluids
- Weird dreams
- Itchy boobs and belly
- More rapid weight gain
- Stretch marks
- Tiredness and sleeping problems
- Swollen and bleeding gums
17 Weeks Pregnant – Questions
At 17 weeks pregnant, you may have some questions about your pregnancy. Here are some common questions and their answers:
- How big is my baby?
- Your baby is about 5 inches long and weighs around 5 ounces.
- What symptoms can I expect?
- Some symptoms you may experience at 17 weeks pregnant include increased bodily fluids, weird dreams, itchy boobs and belly, more rapid weight gain, and stretch marks.
- Is it normal to have periodic pain in my legs?
- Yes, it is normal to have periodic pain in your legs at 17 weeks pregnant. This is called sciatic nerve pain, and it is caused by the pressure of your growing uterus on the sciatic nerve.
- How much weight should I have gained?
- By 17 weeks pregnant, it is common to have gained up to 10 pounds.
- What is the development of my baby?
- At 17 weeks pregnant, your baby is growing rapidly. They are about the size of your palm, their external sex organs are completely formed, and they are learning to suck and swallow. They are also developing fingerprints and their umbilical cord is getting thicker and stronger.
- What should I do if I experience severe cramping or vaginal bleeding?
- If you experience severe cramping or vaginal bleeding at 17 weeks pregnant, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.
- How many months pregnant am I at 17 weeks?
- At 17 weeks pregnant, you are in your fourth month of pregnancy.